Watertight doors on cargo ships
Amendments to 1988 LL Protocol, MARPOL Annex 1 and IGC Code were adopted to align the requirements with respect to doors in watertight bulkheads with that of the SOLAS Convention.
The amendments allow for hinged watertight doors (hinged watertight access doors with open/closed indication locally and at the navigation bridge, of the quick-acting or single-action type that are normally closed at sea, hinged watertight doors that are permanently closed at sea) where previously the regulations only included remotely operated sliding watertight doors in damage stability calculations.
These amendments clarify and align the requirements of watertight doors with those of the SOLAS Convention.
- PMDS surveyors are requested to read the applicable amendments to be familiarized with the requirements.
- The amendments will not have any impact on existing ships.
- The amendments to the Load Lines Convention and the IBC Code will enter into force on 1 January 2024.
- The amendments to MARPOL Annex I and the IGC Code will enter into force on 1 July 2024.
- Refer to the resolutions: