The IMO Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC) is where the reduction of shipping’s impact on the marine environment is discussed. MEPC oversees the work of several sub-committees and influences subjects which cut-across the work of several committees, covering many key regulations.
MEPC 80 will be held from 3 – 7 July 2023.
MEPS 80 is expected to be focused by discussion on the reduction of the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions from ships including:
- Finalization and adoption of the 2023 GHG strategy
- Finalization of the draft Guidelines on Life Cycle GHG intensity of marine fuels (LCA Guidelines)
- Review progress on selection of mid-and ling-term measure for further development.
- Prevention of Air Pollution and Energy efficiency of ships
- Finalization and adoption of proposed amendments to MARPOL Annex VI
- Proposal for interim guidelines for the use of biofuels and blends of biofuels as fuels
- Revision of the IMO DCS
- Proposal on implementation of short-term measures
- Proposal for application of ShaPoli/Overridable EPL to EEDI calculations
- Pollution prevention response
- Amendments to PPR.1/Circ.7 for the categorization and classification of products
- Draft of operational guide on the response to spills of hazardous and Noxious Substances
- Draft 2023 for the control and management o ship´s biofouling to minimize the transfer of invasive aquatic species.
- Draft for thermal waste treatment devices.
- Draft amendments to regulation 13.2.2 of MARPOL Annex VI on different topics
- Amendments to Unified Interpretations
- BWM.2 circular, Protocol for verification of ballast water compliance monitoring devices.
- Draft for the development of IHM
- Ballast Water management
- Amendments to Appendix II of the BWM Convention concerning the form of BW Record Book
- Development of guidance for completing in the ballast water record book
- Development of guidelines for the use of electronic record books under the BWMC
- Development of Draft Guidance on the temporary storage of sewage/treated grey water in ballast tanks.