Exemption for UNSP Barges from certain Survey and Certification Requirements
The Marine Environment Protection Committee, at its seventy-sixth session, adopted amendments to MARPOL Annexes I and IV and amendments to MARPOL Annex VI, concerning the exemption of unmanned non-self-propelled (UNSP) barges from certain survey and certification requirements, by resolutions MEPC.330(76) and MEPC.328(76), respectively.
Amendments will enter into force on 1 November 2022.
The exemption certificate(s) for a UNSP barge should be issued by the Administration or authorized RO, in accordance with regulations 3.7 and 9.2 of MARPOL Annex I, regulations 3.2 and 7.2 of MARPOL Annex IV, regulations 3.4 and 8.4 of MARPOL Annex VI, using the forms set out in the appendices of MARPOL Annexes I, IV and VI.
Procedures for granting exemptions
- The shipowner or operator should apply to the Recognized Organization (RO), for exemption(s) with relevant information on the exemption(s) conditions for UNSP barges and relevant drawings (General Arrangement Plan, Capacity Plan and any other plans or documents, as necessary).
- After a satisfactory review of the submitted plans and information, a survey of the UNSP barge should be carried out to confirm if the actual arrangements on board comply with the exemption conditions, as appropriate.
- Certificate for exemption of a UNSP barge from certain survey and certification requirements under MARPOL Annexes I, IV and /or VI should be issued.
BELIZE Maritime Administration
IMMARBE issued the Merchant Marine Notice MMN-22-005 with the purpose of inform that RO´s in charge of the issuance of the IOPP (MARPOL Annex I), ISPP (MARPOL Annex IV) and the IAPP (MARPOL Annex VI) to a specific vessel shall be capable to:
- Satisfactory review of the plans (GAP, Capacity Plan) and other relevant information provided by the vessels.
- Perform the survey for the UNSP barge to confirm that actual arrangements onboard comply with the exemption conditions, as appropriate.
- Issued the Certificates of exemption of a UNSP barges from certain survey and certification requirements, in the format required by the relevant MARPOL Annex and with a validity of maximum 5 years.